Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] what to do---whats fair when merchandise arrives damaged

Page 2 / 2
DouGR81
(@dougr81)
Estimable Member

Even if the box was damaged in transit, why was the whole damn thing taped? Seems to me it was an old box that was reused to save money. I used to do the same thing when I was younger. I figured if I covered the entire box with tape, the box would retain its original strength. Unfortunately that's not how it works.

If the reel in the videos posted has not been altered by sonny, then the reel is obviously not in working condition. And I don't see any reason why sonny would drop $275 only to mess up the reel and want a refund. No motive there. A car wash doesn't make your car run better. Likewise polishing a reel doesn't make it function any better either. You don't get stripped threads and internal damage like that from transit. Simple as that.

Even if postal insurance was purchased, most carriers won't cover the damages if the box was packaged improperly. Since there was no insurance purchased there's not anything sonny can do as a buyer. But fisherman33611 can take a man for his word and give him a refund. Sonny pays to ship it back, fisherman33611 incurs the loss of a handle and hardware.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2012 6:17 pm
scout04
(@scout04)
Estimable Member

Thats a bad situation - your looking at about $125 in parts alone to repair the reel.

$60 new side plate
$23 new star
$40 new bridge

These will be the absolute minimum to repair the damage and there my possibly be more. With a selling price of $275 plus
$125 in necessary parts your now pushing $400 minimum not including the labor or shipping. Not such a good deal in the end and not what the reel was represented to be.

Lessons learned:

When selling a reel you should include in price the shipping charge (will vary as to location but shouldnt be by that much) and insurance on the value of the sale price of the item being shipped. I will not sell anything to anyone period without shipping with insurance, it protects both the buyer and the seller.

As for what to do about the situation, unless a mutual consideration can be made for consideration (partial refund) to cover the replacement parts to repair the reel and the crurrent owner makes consideration to iinstall the parts then the only thing really left is for the buyer to ship the reel back to the original owner for a full refund. The damage has been well documented and as said before there is no motivation for the buyer of the reel to open the box up and then proceed to tear up the reel.

SharksOnTheSand.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2012 7:48 pm
bassinrx
(@bassinrx)
Eminent Member

Refund the man his money. It is the shippers responsibility to package it appropriately and ensure it arrives in one piece. There's a reason they ask if you want to declare value, get a tracking number, and insure packages.

I have bought and sold A LOT of fishing equipment and always make sure I have insurance. If it is more expensive that should have been worked out in the agreement.

Although this does not appear to be shipping damage...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2012 9:54 pm
billy71
(@billy71)
Prominent Member

Hope you get it all worked out sonny!!! :(

2012 BTC 2nd Place Largest Shark
2012 January Sharker of The Month
2012 BHC 4th Place Largest Shark
2014 February Sharker of The Month

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2012 9:45 pm